Frequently asked questions

If you have a question about our travel insurance policies, you may find the answer below. However, if you still have a question which is not covered by our FAQs, please feel free to contact us by phone or email using our helpful contact form.

Or, for more information about a specific destination, visit the Foreign and Commonwealth office website.

Common questions

What happens if my tour operator or airline goes into administration?

If you are an Circle Cover policyholder and have lost your holiday, we will change the dates on your insurance policy to cover your new holiday. To arrange this, please contact our customer services team on 0203 362 2402 within 30 days of the travel company going into administration.

There is no cover offered by your insurance policy for the loss of the holiday, or for any additional expenses incurred if you are stuck abroad. All these costs are covered by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). If you wish to claim a refund for your holiday or if you’re currently overseas and require assistance, please contact the CAA on 0844 571 7260, if calling from the UK, and 0044 161 444 5810, if calling from abroad.

When will my documents arrive through the post?

Normally, we say to allow between 5 to 7 days between you buying your policy and your documents being received in the post. However, we do always aim for your policy pack to be with you sooner. You can still travel with a printed copy of your emailed documents if the posted documents don't arrive in time.

Do you insure trips within the UK?

We provide cover under all sections of this policy (apart from sections B – Medical expenses, C – Hospital benefit, F – Delayed departure or Abandoning your trip or G – Missed departure) for holidays in your home area, as long as there is a minimum of 25 miles radius between your home and your pre-arranged and booked accommodation.

Please be aware that for the purposes of our policies, we define the UK as being England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man only. For example: If you are a resident of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man and you will be travelling to the Channel Islands, you will need to purchase a European policy to be covered.

If you are a resident of the Channel Islands and you will be travelling to England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man, you will need to purchase a policy which covers Area 1 (see the question below).

What area do Egypt, the Canary Islands, Morocco and Tunisia come under on your policies?

The countries of Egypt, the Canary Islands, Morocco and Tunisia can be covered with our European travel insurance policies. Please note that Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Libya are not included in our European policies and can be covered on our Worldwide (excluding USA, the Caribbean and Canada) and Worldwide (inc. USA, the Caribbean and Canada) areas.

What ages do I put down when getting a quote?

Please enter your current ages. It does not matter if you have a birthday after you buy the policy; we just need your ages at the time your purchase the policy.

What are my cancellation rights?

Once you have purchased your travel insurance, subject to the condition detailed in the note below, you are entitled to a 14 day cooling-off period. If you contact us within this cooling-off period, you are entitled to a full refund of your travel insurance policy, provided you have not travelled or made any claims on the policy. To cancel your travel insurance and claim your refund, you will need to contact us in writing or by e-mail.

Please note: If you have a Single Trip policy that ends within 31 days of the date you purchased your policy, the cooling-off period does not apply and we will not be able to offer you a refund.

To cancel by e-mail, send your request to

To cancel by post, send a letter to:

Circle Cover
Maitland House
Warrior Square

If cover is refused for my pre-existing medical condition, am I still covered?

We will not cover any claim directly or indirectly linked to any declared and excluded pre-existing medical conditions where we cannot offer cover for the condition(s) or you have chosen not to pay the premium to provide cover. The rest of your travel insurance cover will not be affected by this exclusion.

Do I need to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before travelling?

When travelling to a country in the European Union (EU) you should receive inpatient treatment in a public hospital.

You must therefore obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) prior to travel by completing an application form via This allows European citizens to benefit from the health agreements between countries in the EU. (This used to be known as the E111).

If you are admitted to a public hospital, you should present your EHIC to the hospital; if you are unable to do so, you must co-operate with the medical assistance department in order to obtain one.

If your EHIC is presented to the treating doctor or hospital when receiving medical treatment within the European Union and the medical costs are reduced, the policy excess applicable under section B (Medical and other expenses) will be waived.

Why choose us?

Can't find what you are looking for?

If you have any questions, queries or complaints, please feel free to contact us using one of the following methods:

By phone

Call us on: 0330 400 1280

By email

Email us at

By post

Circle Cover
One Victoria Street
Bristol Bridge

In the event of an emergency, please call +44 (0)203 362 2400. For non-emergency claims, please call +44 (0)203 362 2401 and for other enquiries, please see our contact us page for more details.